Saturday, May 10, 2014

I MADE A MUSIC VIDEO (And some other exciting announcements!)

On April 17th, 2014, m'dude and I made things official! I'll start from the beginning... sort of:

Valentine's Day 2012, my dude asked me to marry him. I had actually set up something sweet and romantic for when he came over with candles and home made decorations that I had scattered across the floor... all with reasons I loved him. The song that played in the background was "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" by Death Cab For Cutie because it was kinda our song... At the end of my little trail, I was sitting on the floor with one last reason I loved him (That's not to say those were the only reasons... those were just big reasons) and I handed it to him. In exchange for that, he handed me a letter... the letter expressed how much he loved me, and at the very end, this is what he wrote:

Of course, I said yes! There was no ring, but I didn't care!

As the year progressed, I picked out different rings I liked... Sometimes I'd say "This is definitely THEEEEEEE one! FOR SURE!" and then I'd change my mind.... Cuz I'm fickle. But hey, it's a ring I plan to keep for forever! I wanna make sure it's exactly what I want. But as time went on, a ring never did come... it took a while before I started to care... and what made me care was this (and I feel it needs explaining because I know many people who have bugged me about this saying a ring is just a material item): Any time I would refer to him as my fiancĂ© or any time I'd say I was engaged, I could see people looking for my ring. I felt like people were thinking I was in one of those relationships where you get engaged to everybody you date, and I didn't wanna be seen like that. We started looking at rings again, but that was all we were ever doing. By November of 2013, I found the ring I was FOR SURE FOR SURE about this time... Really! It was on layaway because I didn't want a ring I'd likely have issues with, and I can't wear sterling silver (my finger gets crazy itchy bumps with anything fake), and I also wanted something that was different, but obviously an engagement ring, and I found that ring finally! But as much as we tried to budget it out that I would have my ring paid off, it just wasn't possible, especially not with Christmas coming up and our daughter's birthday following the next month. I finally said I wanted a do-over! What??? Basically, I was giving him another chance to propose WITH a ring! Until then, we were simply boyfriend and girlfriend. Seems silly, I'm sure, but that's what I wanted. SO, he agreed to it. I was hoping by Christmas of 2013 that he was gonna propose then. That didn't happen. He promised by Valentine's Day, I'd have a ring... that didn't happen... I was feeling pretty disappointed. I was also feeling like maybe he just didn't want to marry me after all. Maybe this was just his way of telling me that. It was depressing.

On April 17th, 2014, my friend took me out at the request of my dude (she was totally in on it!) and when I came home (which she was texting him letting him know how close we were to t
he house) I walked up to the door... I saw a big envelope taped under the handle....
 
So, I opened it (because it said to, of course!) and I walked inside.....


 

There was music playing; Some of my favourite tunes about love. I didn't see him... Anywhere! I was a bit confused if I'm being honest lol. I had to wash my hands sooooooo bad, so I quickly washed them, and when I came out of the washroom, I heard a voice saying "hey...." turned around, and there he was. He kinda came out of a dark corner since the lights were out and there were only candles lit. He walked right up to me and said all he needed to say, and of course the answer was always gonna be "yes"... But I cried because I wasn't expecting it at all. I knew he had the ring, I just didn't know when or where or how it was all gonna happen.


 
So you'd think after this, I'd be everywhere announcing the engagement and showing off my ring, but nope! I had other plans... I wanted to make this announcement EPIC! I had gotten some inspiration from a video I had seen by one of my favourite vloggers, Missy Lanning. Last year, she had made a beautiful Mother's Day video where she used photographs of many different types of mothers and hung them up. While I was inspired by that video, I also wanted to make the video original. As far as I know, anyways. So, I asked my engaged/married friends to submit photos whether it was a reaction photo from being proposed to, or engagement photos, or weddings pics! Many of my friends said "You can take as many pics from my photo albums as you wish!" so, I did! They had no idea what the photos would be used for.... just that I needed them for my latest cover I was gonna be posting. I met with a videographer who a friend had suggested to me (funnily enough, same friend I met Brad from!) and explained my concept. It was a bit unusual for him... the concept... But ultimately, he said he was interested in making it work! I also asked my friend (the same one who helped my dude with the proposal) to be a part of the video. She is a beautiful dancer, and I just really wanted her to be a part of this special announcement.
 
We set 2 dates to film. One for the lip syncing, and the other for the story part. The first day, I was out in the cold.... and when you see the video, you'll see why I was cold... The shirt I was wearing was quite thin! Unfortunately, by the end of the night, I started feeling a cold coming on. I thought maybe I just needed to shake off being out IN the cold... Sunday, I felt a bit worn out, but the show must go on.... and then the next morning, my throat was killing me!!! I dreaded swallowing. Ugh. But either way, I was being updated every day about the status of the video. Today, May 10th, 2014, the video was uploaded and shared on my facebook! I LOVE the video... I'm proud of it! It's my baby (other than my actual child lol) and so, I'm gonna share it here as well! I was able to get it onto my youtube channel, thankfully! Please check it out! Give it a thumbs up and comment or whatever, either way, I'm so happy with how it turned out, and so grateful for the people who participated... And I'm just excited to start planning a wedding! Yes, there is a date set, our engagement photos are scheduled for a couple of weeks from now, and we have a meeting with a wedding planner in about a week and a half! SO, things are moving along.
 
Anyways, I just wanted to share my awesome story, and since I haven't blogged in quite a while, I figured this was a good place to tell my story! I'm hoping to get back into blogging regularly again, especially since I've started seeing a counselor again!
 
Until next time,
 
Toots McGee
 
http://youtu.be/-DtZZnDCd-E
Click image to see the video!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment