Thursday, June 26, 2014

5 years!!!

Engagement Photo - By Phil Haskins


On may 14, 2009, I got a message from a dude I didn't know. He just wanted to say hi and let me know he liked my hair! HAH! He had seen me through a comment I made on something a mutual friend had posted. I never responded (I'm a jerk! Teehee!) and though I accept his Facebook friend request, I never did talk to him. I'd see status updates, pictures posted, links to different things... Posts about Eminem (Bahahhahaaa!)... And I'd see his name and think "who is this?? Brad Grayson?? Who's that??" I came SO close to deleting him a few times, but I'm so glad I never did. I don't know why... I just had a strong feeling that I needed to keep him on my list.

Then, one day, I was sad... And he reached out to me through another Facebook message. This time, I actually responded. We became actual friends who talked through Facebook messenger and MSN messenger on a daily basis, and I found out what a sweet guy this Brad Grayson was lol. He'd come visit me at work during my breaks and we'd chat about life and the things we were interested in, and it turned out we had a LOT in common. Just one tiny problem: I had sworn off relationships! Why??? Because I was protecting my heart. None of my other relationships worked out, and it seemed like I was always the one getting hurt... And it usually had a lot to do with my mental illness. It was always too much for them to handle after a while, and as much as it sucked, I couldn't blame 'em. I was a lot to handle!

I always warned men from the beginning "I've got issues... you're gonna wanna run away eventually... I'm giving you an out" None ever took them because they all thought they liked me enough that they could handle it... Plus, they had no idea what they were in for. Eventually, once it got tiring for them and after my heart was already deeply invested, they finally wanted out. In 2009, I decided that I was done trying because my heart couldn't take anymore rejection, and when I met Brad, I was still dead set on remaining single!!!

... But Brad... He was sweet, and funny, and adorkable, and above all, he was patient. He knew my thoughts on relationships, and he was perfectly happy being my friend even though he knew I wasn't looking for anything other than a friend, but that didn't stop him from telling me I was beautiful and wonderful. I guess he charmed me pretty heavily because a bit over a month later, I took a leap of faith and decided to give a relationship a chance... And it may have been the best thing I ever did for myself!

This weekend  (June 28th, 2014) is a very special weekend for us because it marks 5 years of being together and growing together. We haven't been together the entire 5 years because we both have had a lot of issues to work on as individuals before we could achieve a healthy relationship. We made it though! We even have little miniature versions of the both of us! One is in heaven, and one is asleep in her bed right now. We've been through hell and back, and as of September 11th 2011, we haven't looked back. Every day with him is a wonderful gift, and though we may have some epic fights, our love for one another is even more epic!

SO, Happy 5 years, sir!

 

1 comment:

  1. Riley Heiser (RazrWirez)June 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM

    This is cute congrats on your lifelong love :)

    ReplyDelete