Friday, March 28, 2014

Opinions are like.........

Well, you know the saying, but what happens when your opinions are more than just simply your opinions?

Recently, I was confronted by someone... A "friend"  who had.. I guess you could say.. Cornered me? All on Facebook, too. Hah. I was asked about something to which I gave an answer to. I then got suddenly preached at about this thing which is a bit on the controversial side I guess you could say, and if there's one thing I dislike, it's when someone tries to shove their beliefs down my throat whether it's religious or political... Moral... Whatever. I dislike it. Most of the time, I just keep my opinions to myself, but when I get approached like that, or someone starts becoming a bit overbearing about those beliefs, let me put it to you this way: if you say "it's just wrong" it's kind of very irritating and I'm not gonna hold back.... Also, it hardly seems like a personal opinion, but rather, like you're stating a fact when it's just YOUR opinion that you're trying to make other people believe.

Now, for me, when I see something I don't like, for instance, an article about a local bridal shop that doesn't allow transgendered women (male to female in this case)  to try on dresses in the shop, I'll re-post the link to the article and state my feelings about it. Example: "I know where I WON'T be buying my wedding dress".... And not "I won't be buying my wedding dress here because it's wrong and you shouldn't either!"

I have many friends with opposing views from abortion (which I'm against) to gay marriage (which I'm for) and some other less intense things like music and movie tastes lol. When there's a debate, we will have our discussion knowing full well it's just a friendly debate. But then there are those that go south. Friendships have ended because of intense debating on opposing views. However, this one in particular ended very unexpectedly and sadly enough, it was because once the discussion appeared to be over, a friend of hers with a grudge against me had to chime in not only with her opinion on the topic, but also some personal attacks on my character and my mental disability (anxiety disorder and such) and there was no mediation from the girl who started the whole topic. When someone talks to my friends in such a way that's so disrespectful and despicable, I definitely take action. I don't allow anyone to talk to my friends the way my "friend" let her friend talk to and about me, therefore, she is NOT a friend. It's okay to have different opinions. Most of the time, if you can discuss your different opinions in a civil manner, it means you might actually be mature! But some people can't handle a debate, I guess... And some people can't keep their personal thoughts to themselves.

It's sad when we lose friends... But at the same time, we don't need people like that in our lives, and I made a promise to myself a few years ago that I'd never allow "bad friends" to stick around in my life. In doing so, I may only have a small handful of friends, but at least I'm guaranteed good quality friends. Quality over quantity!

Until next time, never settle for less than you deserve in a friend and in life. Always stick up for your real friends, but more importantly, always stick up for YOURSELF! Oh, and maybe don't be so preachy, eh? ;)


Toots McGee!

No comments:

Post a Comment